Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

How can it be? The month, January 2016, is slipping away.

Central Piedmont Community College-Elizabeth at Central-Dec. 1991   ©Logue


January 27, 2016

How can it happen?

 2015 drifts away, smaller and smaller.
What am I forgetting?

Am I forgetting that Park Road Shopping center at the intersection of Park Road and Woodlawn completed in
1955 is being ripped apart for newer and bigger and others? The red clay is turned and something brand new will rise.

 Am I missing the changes in SouthEnd where whole blocks are gone and Price’s Chicken Coop sits like
an outlander in home territory?

And where did it go, that church on the corner of Central and Hawthorne except to fade to our outcries after our long silences when we let it drift away and crumble?

I can say that I lived in Charlotte during the period where Mom and Pop shops flourished, when the airport was dubbed Douglas airport for the man who fought to bring the airlines here. Can you just imagine if it were not?

And we remember the woman who, from the basement of Central High School on Elizabeth, reached and stretched, called and wrote, stumped and spoke, knocked on doors, raised money and planted seeds for the University, north of town where the light rail will speed soon.
Do you know her name?

 Our lives are a cascade of old and new on many levels.
The plan before me, the one being crafted in my every late night and early morning is just that, Charlotte’s old and Charlotte’s new, from our archives in my websites and blogs, looking back to the late 90’s and maybe before to a time when condominiums were the new kids in town, to a time when planners spoke of the giant steps being taken
and how they might impact us.

 I will speak to both old and new, seriously, older condominiums and newer condominiums, both choices with chances, among other concerns that give me pause, makes me wonder what are we doing,
what are we allowing in our once fair city?

And why?
And maybe old and new from other parts of our country, the world. This is another beginning for me. And this is the old platform on Blogger  and the new one
is under construction on Square Space.
But I must hurry, I should not wait any longer,
 the tea party is well underway.
February is almost here.
I must hurry.

No comments: