Search This Blog

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Condo CanDo Talks Condo-ese and What makes Some Special

April 3, 2008

Lynnsy Logue The Real Estate Lady® and Condo CanDo® in Charlotte ,NC

After twenty years as a real estate broker and specializing in condominiums, you know I have favorites. Many I have walked through wearing a hard hat during construction, many I have watched through conversion, many I have seen go through transformation from ragged, rental property to shining examples of what home owners can do if they pull together. And when I met Condo CanDo® many of the streets where condo communities were built were not on the maps.
It was before the Internet, of course, before we were as interconnected as we are now with all of our search tools. I bought a whole set of the large, cumbersome, bound tax map books. There were three or four of the big books. I went through every single page looking for the clusters of buidings, the townhouses, the duplexes and the areas where I thought there were fourplexes. And then I took a trip down to The Register of Deeds and looked up every one on the microfish file. And I read about the details of every one on a bigger viewer. The files were like negatives and the print was small and really hard to read. I loved every minute of the search.
And once I wrote down the addresses and the details of each complex, I set about to visit every single one. It was the only way you could tell about such things as heating source, conversions, structure, amenities and such.
Over the years I hve photographed almost all of them on more than one occasion. When I first started working with the web, I spent days and days taking all the condo pictures. It was a little more labor intensive. There were not digital cameras that I could afford. I shot thousands of pictures, kept Wolf Camera's photo lab busy and scanned them all in to my database. Even all the ones at Lake Norman and Lake Wylie.
Charlotte has changed a lot. Condos seem to be more acceptable. There sure are many new ones, fancy ones, lofts and warehouses, towers and more towers. And the business of condominiums has gotten more energetic. So I keep reading about every aspect particularly the pitfalls, especially the surprises. And I am cautious these days about what I see and what I hear.
I know the history of Condominiums in Charlotte. The future of this home-choice is in the hands of the buyers, the owner occupants more than the investors. So much of what I write about is for you. The folks who want to live in a condo for reasons that are as individual as they are themselves. You drive the market. You make the market.
So I will write about my favorites and why they are my favorites. I will write about unique buildings and plain complexes and problems and pitfalls...and yes, even the good stuff.
And this will be a weekly feature on our blog as well as on our podcast. We hope you'll join us. Condo CanDo® and I have our digital camera and camcorder and we are off to have some fun.

Lynnsy Logue, The Real Estate Lady® and Condo CanDo® Charlotte NC

No comments: