Search This Blog

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Being in the trenches is pretty heady stuff...

July 3, 2008
Lynnsy Logue The Real Estate Lady and Condo CanDo in Charlotte, NC

Being in the trenches is pretty heady stuff…
Time was we would search through big, thick books that held all the listings in our Multiple Listing Service looking for the perfect fit for a client or researching the market for what was active or sold to get a handle on the market. Then along came Texas Instrument Terminal that could be leased and line by line on thermal paper, a search was printed out…it was fabulous!Technology went foot loose after that and now…it is all very quick…in seconds. Now it is all complete with many pictures, maps, disclosures in .pdf format, access to tax bills and deeds and pictures of the front lawn. Quick.And when I start working with a client, I go through all those steps and then I hit the streets. Like today. I completed research for property for an out-of-town buyer who has very specific wants/needs…and sent this couple my final data sheets late last night. I made all my appointments to preview property, planned my route and timing and set off…electronic key, camera, recorder, cell…you know, the regular cadre of tools.Previewing property is one of my most favorite segments…Researching the property is fun because we do get most if not all of the information we need…and can send off an email to the listing agent if more is needed…making the selections is interesting because comparing all the property in a complex is enlightening, the options, the views, the amenities, the dues…and actually going in and out of every property…Today I was looking for charm and light. Charm is sometimes in the construction, most often in the floor plan…and light is in both elements as well. A superbly built condominium that has a dark interior is quickly crossed off the list for these folks. And the glistening, sparkling new concrete and steel structures are as well. Especially when I heard the words “Synthetic stucco”…And out in the trenches, I meet other agents. Sometimes see old friends and engage in a little shop-talk. Out on the streets, I can see up close, the construction efforts especially in Uptown Charlotte…and out there, walking through the city, I can see how the older condominiums blend with the new and newer ones…it is charming. It is evolution. I like seeing the progression from converted hospital, and converted apartments and converted churches to towers that shoot straight up like steel arrows.My ears perk up as I listen to building materials and run my fingers across the finishes and open cabinet doors and inspect the bathroom showers.Sometimes I pick up the Public Offering Statement and the hard copy of the marketing piece. Actually I try to get them for every condo I visit. It is amazing what some people like to look at before sleep.And maybe even more amazing…after twenty two years of being The Real Estate Lady and Condo CanDo, I love being in the trenches!

Lynnsy Logue The Real Estate Lady and Condo CanDo in Charlotte, NC

No comments: