Search This Blog

Friday, July 25, 2008

The Power of One...

July 24, 2008
Lynnsy Logue The Real Estate Lady and Condo CanDo in Charlotte.com
The Power of One…
From global to local…we live by the numbers these days. Interest rates, the numbers of foreclosures, the price of oil per barrel, the cost of gas per gallon, the number of building cranes uptown, the number of condo towers stopped, stalled and in litigation. Then the more human side: the number of jobs lost, the number of employees to be laid off, the number of plants closing, the number of top executives leaving the building, the amounts they have been paid, are being paid and benefits they collect. The numbers in our own checkbook, the months we can stay in the water.And what it boils down to, for me at least, is today. I am heading off to a farm in Virginia. It is an historic farm and has been in the family for generations. Not my blood family, my family by close bond, shared laughter, decades of history…and yes, numbers.Of the twelve children born on that farm in Virginia, one is 82, my 8th grade school teacher, another is 83, also a school teacher who lives in another part of the farm with her family, and another sister 85 who tends the herd of cattle, has a beer now and then and wears a baseball cap. Many others will join us as we head out to their lake house to cook breakfast tomorrow morning…a celebration of birthdays, mine at 69 and those other Leo’s mentioned before.I throw some things in my van and take out the signs and info boxes…data sheets and water bottles from my journey around Charlotte this week. Yes, some projects are stalled, some seem stalled, some though are finishing up and look terrific, some of the towers uptown have reported sales. There is buzz about the numbers of large apartments that can’t be found. . The news of how much the market is down. What I focus on is what is being sold in the market, the activity I see in the mortgage offices, the news I hear and read about new companies coming to Charlotte or the region. What I delight in is how people are adapting, how folks are being creative, how many help each other by sharing a ride, and grocery pick ups. What really touches my heart is the vast number of conversations about how we will get through this, the numerous discussions about how we can do something about the economy, the dozens and dozes of thoughts, ideas and articles about how we can approach global warming. It is about the power of One.

Lynnsy Logue The Real Estate Lady and Condo CanDo in Charlotte.com

No comments: