Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2016

 Learning the languages of hope from our new citizens.

January 29, 2016

 
Como esta ustd?

At the last class of Spanish 1 at Myers Park High School where foreign language classes
are taught as an adjunct of CPCC,
right before the holidays, our fabulous instructor, Kelly, remarked that very often Spanish 2
classes were not well attended.
The class needed 10 students to make.
 I wanted to take Spanish 2 because I really
want to learn the language.  I believe it is important to be able to talk to folks who are ever in my life.
 I see the Latinos, hardworking, constant, polite, quiet, strong, steady, determined, children in hand,
comforting their elders or so it seems to me, they have grande corizon! Mucho trabajar!

 I want them to know I share their values
 and honor them. My new classmates come
 from all over the world. They come at different
degrees and angles and different
times for various reasons:
 to marry, to work, to go to school,
to be with family, to travel,
to seek, to build…to live it out, out loud!
I was both surprised and delighted
 when our first Spanish 2 class this past Wednesday
 night (7-9p.m.) was almost a full house.
 And they are outstanding. The people are so alive and energetic. I am taken by their stories
( told in Spanish, remember, this is Spanish 2)
 their origins (one from Poland, another from
France and yet another from Saudi Arabia)
 their place in their lives. I felt like a
very young child and
 an ancient oracle.
Breathless.
Excited they were/are all in Charlotte with all
 of their gusto and desire and curiosity and transparency and vulnerabilities.
I fell in love with the body of students for what I know about a classroom: one's protective cape is often shed at the door.
A necessity I believe to open the gates of the
 learning center, the brain.
My spirit soared as I pledged to
myself to do the homework as soon as possible.
And while I cringe and groan about the changes in our town and surrounding areas, I see Charlotte is drawing upon the world for her new citizens, her young leaders, her experienced teachers, her wise parents,
her  emerging heritages.
I can embrace the
metamorphosis when I feel hope.
Hasta luego!
And a big thanks to CPCC and MPHS!



No comments: