Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2016



I promised myself I would write every day.
 It will have to be in the morning somehow.
 Here is why: Saturday was market day, breakfast with Mary, 
more market, home to get ready for an Open House, to tend 
my sweet companion, Eve, and off to real estate and it went
 on until I came home, fed the dog and crashed. 

Because, no sooner did I drive up to the elegant townhome
 I have on the market off Rea Road,
 you know the one with the fabulous and exotic gardens 
with fountains and palms, yes, that one, "they" came. 
They came and came and came. Like a gentle tide in
 the early morning, a yawning sea breaking day, a hungry child,
 they came, the Baby Boomers. 
They are out. They have been out, leaving camp, packing up,
and heading out to new territory. 
Some have settled in their Masters on Main and are travelling. 
Some have settled down and tending their health, nursing a spouse, 
becoming the nanny or meeting the oneness of being single again, 
of widowhood. Whatever. 
They are making themselves known. And some are precious. 
They wore me out yesterday. You see, they are, the wave that came my way,
 just starting to think about “scaling down”. I sense excitement and trepidation,
 here they are after 20-30-40+ years in a home
 they are about to leave.
 “What do we do with all the stuff?"
 They say that with eyes wide, hands spread
 out or down with palms open or clenched, 
both a smile and a grimace…the words echo,
 “All the stuff!”
(More tomorrow or later tonight so I stay on schedule.
)
How I learned to embrace "letting go" from a woman far wiser
than I will ever be.

No comments: