Search This Blog

Friday, February 5, 2016

February 5, 2016
Rewind…I wrote on Thursday morning and hit the wrong key
and erased it as I jumped to grab my notebook
and head into the world. Later, I will get back… later.
The day was  about a fabulous truck
 that was so long it extended over the driveway
 in a fabulous townhome community
and nixed the choice of the fabulous couple.
And then there was the letter my mother
wrote in 1958 when I was in college about
how Fred’s mother befriended her, this newcomer from a
very small town in Virginia.
And then seeing Fred and his wife, sweethearts in high school,
 that evening, at a gathering of the class of ’57 MPHS
 and telling him about the letter
and thanking him, fifty-eight years later.
Opening the letter from Roads Scholar
updating information on my 77th birthday gift
 to myself in July: “we will go to the Blue Lagoon
 in Iceland on Day 1.”
Then receiving a text at dinner at Shun Lee
with classmates, an offer presented for the home
I have listed off Rea Road.
And not lastly, gathering all the documents
 I now need for tomorrow’s meeting to try to sell
 the family crypts we held at Sharon Mausoleum
 now empty. We scattered their ashes on a hillside
next to the forest where we lived in Virginia.
Happier times for them.
What we know, it is the small pieces
 that make the whole and each is treasured.


No comments: