Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Outside the Fence

We met a long time ago...when children were making paper airplanes...when we made a talking box telephone of small boxes and string..we would climb over the fence to the baseball game. Stan the Man was my favorite. I watched between the chain link fence. The guard wouldn't let me stay. He let the boys stay. I stood outside and really, I was afraid standing alone outside the fence. I put my hands deep in my corduroy pants pockets and scowled so I looked mean. I walked home in the dark alone. I was seven years old. I always practiced being unafraid.
Today, I am alone and like it. I am afraid and do not like it. I miss baseball. I still wear corduroy pants. Some things never change.

Now I am on a new journey. I may have some time left. I want to close this chapter and go to a quiet place like it is here in this space I love so well...I want to go to a small secluded space and gather the books I have started, the poems I just dashed off...I want to be with my dog and a warm cup of chai, some oatmeal and I want to write and write until all the memories are washed and all the tears are shed and all the love I ever held is allowed out there, out there, you know outside the fence.

No comments: