Search This Blog

Monday, July 28, 2008

Is it segregation a good thing for 55+?And real estate?

July 28, 2008
Lynnsy Logue The Real Estate Lady and Condo CanDo in Charlotte, NC
More and more…I consider the 55+ communities.In our area, Charlotte, we hear about communities especially for the 55+ demographic. At firs, many years ago, we did not even have that designation…maybe we used the term Active Adult Communities. As I began researching this idea, I came across the acronym NORC. That is the government’s name for Naturally Occurring Retirement Communities.And went further to explain that these communities happen naturally because the homes are good for first timers, good for singles, and good for empty nesters. Usually smaller ranch style homes with modest yards, modest refinements but with sidewalks and adequate parking. When I began defining these communities in Charlotte and talking to the people who lived there, I found quite simply, community. The single and working couples liked the fact that someone was in the neighborhood during the day. The seniors liked it because there were young folks and young families around playing and growing. Of course it was not at all perfect but I would surmise it fit the bill in many ways.
And in my own neighborhood, I like the differences in age, in race, in religion, in orientation, even the grumpy ones have their moments. And maybe that would not suit everyone. Maybe some wear out their joy in crying babies and boisterous teens.Now an increasing number of Americans are choosing to live in age segregated leisure-villes where at least one household member must be 55 or older. No one under 18 may live there-ever. According to industry estimates more than 12 million Americans in the next decade or so will live in communities that forbid young families. This representsa drastic overhaul in our societal living arrangements. And by 2015 those age 50 and older will represent 45% of the U.S. population. I think about my own experiences with the younger generations…from babies to those just starting to receive their ARP magazine… how each of them enrich my life with their new and different perspective.
As I think about the cycles in the real estate world, I think about the afterward as the baby boomers sift through life’s last third. Are the numbers on the rise as great as the boomers to fill the hearths left? How does this growing bubble shake out?
Comments are always welcome!

Lynnsy Logue The Real Estate Lady and Condo CanDo in Charlotte, NC

No comments: